- Go to the start of the problem
- drag the clip on the right to trim it until I removed the offending part.
- Drag the clip over to the left to butt up against the split.
- Move the playhead back a few seconds
- Hit play to hear the new edit
The process is pretty simple.
- Use the Actions menu and select the Show Action List… item
- Next to Custom Actions… click the New… button
- In the Edit Custom Action dialog drag the desired steps from the left to the right. Use the filter box to find them easily.
- Check the Consolidate undo points and Show in actions menu checkboxes and click OK
- Click the Add… button in the Shortcuts for selection action area and in the resulting dialog assign your shortcut. I usually just override the less useful default.
This new action is also a good candidate for the toolbar even though it has a simple shortcut. When you add it to the toolbar you can right-click it, and the action will arm and turn orange. Now if you have already done a bunch of splits and just need to do multiple trims, a simple left click will repeat the custom trim action until you disarm it by right-clicking on the icon again. This arming tip works with other actions as well.
See the full list of Reaper tips.