Oct 14, 2014

Camtasia Tip #5

Create a Gradient Fill

SNAGHTML197df720

See all the Camtasia Tips

This tip requires using a second program to get started. I use PowerPoint and create a white-to-gray gradient box.  In PP I just draw a rectangle and then right-click and select Format Shape from the context sensitive menu. I then adjust the sliders and colors to get the gradient I want. I’m using gray and white because I want to apply this to various colors in Camtasia. I will then do a screen capture to to copy this rectangle with SnagIt but you could also export the slide as a .png. Once I have the gradient in SnagIt I use the Share tab to send it over to Camtasia Studio and then I add it to my asset library so it’s always available.

 image

Get cooking with Qt! The trilogy of courses on the Qt framework is complete. Check out the latest course: Integrating Qt Quick with C++ image

SNAGHTML1981d232Once I have the shape in Camtasia Studio. I’ll draw a Camtasia Callout that I want to have a gradient fill. In the example below, I’ve drawn a simple rectangle with a blue fill.

SNAGHTML1982f156Then I put my white-to-gray gradient rectangle over top of my simple rectangle. I adjust the opacity to 30% and resize it to match my callout in Camtasia. Once I have the overlay sized and looking the way I want, I group the two items together. This way I can resize them if needed with a simple click and drag.

SNAGHTML19910534If I want the gradient to go from dark to light, I can just rotate the gradient’s z-axis to 180.

SNAGHTML19862570If I want a top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top, I just rotate and resize.

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.