I’m working on a new Pluralsight course about the Qt C++ framework. One issue I ran into right away is that running in a Win 7 virtual machine under Virtual Box was not playing nice with the Welcome mode. While this isn’t a huge issue, I’m aiming the course at beginners and the welcome mode is particularly useful for them. While I searched for a fix I never found one until I reported it as a bug and Christian Stenger kindly gave me the key information needed to work around the issue.
Install 3D Experimental Support
- You’ll need to exit your VM and restart it in safe mode (hold down F8 while booting).
- Then run GuestAdditions again from the CD iso image.
- Click next two times and you should see the dialog at the left.
- Enable the Direct3D support (Experimental) setting and click Install.
Increase your Video Memory to 128 MB
- Once the installation finishes, exit the VM again. Perform the following five steps:
- Select your VM
- Click the settings button
- Select the display tab and modify your video memory setting to a minimum of 128 MB.
- Enable 3D Acceleration (2D is optional)
Now when you start Qt Creator your welcome mode should function properly.