Jun 20, 2013

Camtasia Tip #1

Use the ShuttlePro v2 Controller

See all the Camtasia Tips

I’ve been working a lot in Camtasia Studio recently and I thought a Shuttle/Jog controller might speed up the process. There didn’t seem to be a lot of options in this category so I ended up with Contour Design’s Shuttle Pro V2. It has lots of presets for various applications, but unfortunately Camtasia Studio is not one of them. It’s easy to create your own, but it does take a bit of time. I ultimately created two sets of preferences because the ShuttlePro allows you to assign any button to switch to another settings file. I use these settings on the Windows version of Camtasia.
Get cooking with Qt! The trilogy of courses on the Qt framework is complete. Check out the latest course: Integrating Qt Quick with C++ image

The Camtasia Studio Fast.pref file is very similar to the Camtasia Studio.pref file (I’m all for reducing cognitive load). The Lower four buttons are the same. The Shuttle settings move by clips instead of frames. Some other buttons are the same but faster and the second row in the fast version is dedicated to moving the playhead instead of adding library elements. The Switch Settings button is the same, so clicking it once takes you to the fast settings, clicking it again takes you back to the original settings.

Updated November 2013

After using the ShuttlePro for 6 months I’ve discovered two things. One I really love this thing and two, some of the settings I picked I didn’t use that much. Below are new images with the new settings. I highlighted the settings I’m always reaching for. I exported both settings files (and the html info files) to bit bucket if anyone wants to use them.  Here are  the assignments I used:
CamtasiaShuttle
CamtasiaFastShuttle
.


About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.