Nov 3, 2011

Don't you just hate inconsistent hives?

While trying to install some SQL Server tools recently, I found out my computer was in violation of the "Performance counter registry hive consistency check" rule. Oh no! The link next to this error sends you to a Microsoft knowledge base article that has a set of directions that made me cancel all thoughts of getting any productive work done for the rest of the day.

Luckily a geek with a blog figured out that all of this is unnecessary. I was able to follow step 2 on his blog which was to just open the registry entry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib and set the Disable Performance Counters entry from 1 to 0. (I'm suspecting that implementing a suggestion for optimization by JV16 caused this.)  I reran the SQL installer and no more hives! Well no more inconsistent hives anyway. Back to being a worker bee.

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.