Jul 6, 2011

D Programming Language–First Steps

I recently purchased Andrei Alexandrescu's  The D Programming Language. I don't have an actual need to learn D but I know Andrei is an engaging writer and I wanted to know more about D. Of course, books on new programming languages are more fun to read if you can take the language out for a test drive. I didn't have a D Compiler so I decided I should try and find one. Turns out this isn't very hard to do. The author of the language Walter Bright has a free D compiler available on his web site. Of course it's even more fun to use a programming language inside an IDE and it turns out there are plug-ins for both Eclipse and Visual Studio readily available (and possibly others but these are the two I use). The Eclipse project I tried is called DDT, and you can find it on the google code site. The project I used for Visual Studio 2010 is called Visual D.

I made a screencast on taking those first steps of installing the compiler and IDE plug-ins. I then broke the screencast up into three pieces so you can just watch the pieces that interest you. Part 1 is on the DMD compiler itself, part 2 tackles the Eclipse Helios install and part 3 walks through the install for Visual Studio 2010. I make a mistake while locating the DMD folder for Visual Studio as it wants a different folder than Eclipse. This installation error results in a compile time problem. I annotated the screencast with my mistake so you won't make the same one, but I also show you how to fix the problem inside Visual Studio.

Update: I also found a couple of other interesting sites if you're interested in writing Widows Forms (GUI) applications. Check out the D Forms Library  and Entice the related GUI builder (drag and drop form creation similar to what you do in Visual Studio WinForm apps).

 

Part I – Installing a D Compiler

Getting and Installing a D Compiler

 

Part II - Eclipse

Getting and Installing the D Language Support in Eclipse

 

Part III - Visual Studio

Getting and Installing D Language Support in Visual Studio

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.