Aug 2, 2010

Failed to Set Data for ‘Path’

Ahh, a new computer, a new OS and days and days of installing software.  In imagethis case a laptop running Windows 7. One particular installer was giving me the “Failed to Set Data for …” error right after starting it. Struck me as a  permissions problem so first I turned of User Access Control, no joy. Then I disabled the McAfee firewall and virus scan, no joy. Then I thought to look at right-clicking the installer to see if there were any options for running this particular installer. Sure enough, right near the top was “Run as Administrator. I’m sure I’ll get to discover what that “Troubleshoot compatibility” option is for soon enough.

While I’m at it, I should also mention a control panel that will probably ease some upcoming pain. Launch  Start->Control Panel->Troubleshooting.   Under the Programs section you’ll see an option to Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. Launching this will scan your system for candidates and then let you select a program from the list. Haven’t had to use it yet but it’s good to know it’s there.

image

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.