Mar 29, 2010

Project Locker

I’m downsizing to a smaller office and I needed to shed a few computers. Turns out I had one server that was really just a subversion server. I was thinking of just moving the SVN server over to my development machine. I liked the idea of the svn repository being on a different machine for backup purposes. I also wasn’t crazy about running Apache and the svn server on my development machine. Finally, as part of the move I will no longer have a fixed IP and I was going to miss not being able to hit the svn server over https from my laptop when I was on site. I was able to avoid all those negatives by using ProjectLocker for my new svn server. It’s free for the first 500MB up to five users. The site will have ads displayed.  
The only downside I see to ProjectLocker so far, is that you can’t easily get a backup copy of your data if you want to move to a different svn server. the comment by  For any project you can pay $2.50 and get a backup, and there seem to be some other options for getting monthly and weekly backups at a fixed monthly cost.  That makes me think I should just put everything in ProjectLocker in one Project. (See Runako Godfrey’s comment on this post for a different way to get your data). 
The concept of a project in ProjectLocker can map to the concept of a repository in SVN so it’s quite easy to manage a whole slew of real word projects under a single ProjectLocker project. In fact for my purposes it might be ideal. Unfortunately I currently have multiple repositories under SVN and I haven’t been able to import those into ProjectLocker as a single project, I’ve had to create a project for each repository.

Getting Started With ProjectLocker

Use the main project locker site  site and create a free project locker account. Your first project will be the equivalent of one of your existing svn repositories. If you aren’t currently using SVN then you can just create a project and use your favority SVN client tools (like TortoiseSvn ) to populate it. When you fill in the project fields, the first project gets created for you and the name you signed up with is automatically added to that project. Any other projects you add later will not do this. You have to remember to add yourself to the project. All the most important urls you need will be emailed to you.

 

Logging in the Second Time

imageAfter you create your first project, you want to be able to log back in to the admin panel. There is no link from the ProjectLocker home page so you need to remember to use the portal URL https://portal.projectlocker.com. You’ll be prompted for your email and password. When you create your account you are automatically taken to the portal administration page.

 

Bringing in existing repositories.

Project locker has the options for importing directly from your existing SVN server. While I could get it to connect and report success via email, it never did bring in any files. I had to use svnadmin to do a  dump of each repository:
svnadmin dump g:\Repositories\MyRepository > MyRepository.dmp
You can add a project to ProjectLocker by clicking the Add Project link under the Account Links section. In the image shown below I had first clicked on the List Projects link to show all my projects.
image
imageOnce you’ve added a project Click on its Name in the area named "Active Projects”.  Near the bottom of the resulting screen  you will see the user authorization area. If it looks like the image at the left  where the “Users in Project” section is empty, you have no users and need to at least add yourself. After clicking your name link it will take a few seconds. Wait until the page refreshes and your name shows up in the Users in Project area.

Then you can click on the Edit Service Properties link next to Subversion as shown below.
 image
Look near the bottom of the resulting page for the Upload Repository link.
image
imageThis takes you to a page where you can specify how you want to upload data. Click the first option and browse to your dumped file.

Once you imported your data, you can use the User Home link in the User Links section in the left hand column. This will take you back to the home page where each project is displayed with both a subversion link and a Trac link. Trac is the tool used for tracking tasks and it ties in nicely with the Mylyn plug-in in Eclipse (which I’ll talk about in the next blog).
 image
  If you want to try the direct method use the options shown below
  image
 imageFill in the required information and hit the upload button. You will be returned to the previous page and you’ll see the message shown at the left near the top of the screen. You’ll need to check your email to see if the upload has problems.  If there are no problems you’ll get a confirmation email.

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.