Oct 17, 2007

Microsoft At Home Nuisance Emails

When Email isn't really Email

AddFlavorToCpp I recently upgraded to Office 2007, which included an update to Outlook 2007. I immediately notice that every time I sent mail it always had a count of items to be sent that was 2 larger than the number of items in my out box. A while later I also noticed my Unread Mail link at the top of Navigation Pane in my Favorite Folders pane had a large number of unread items even though my inbox had no unread items. When I clicked on the Unread Mail link it showed that I had two "folders" one for Microsoft at Home and one for Microsoft at Work. I'll cut to the chase here and just mention that these were RSS feeds that were automatically created by Microsoft for me because they just knew I wanted them to clutter up my in box with their white papers. Once I figured this out I went to my RSS Feeds folder under the Mail Folders pane of the Navigation Panel, right-clicked on them and deleted the feeds.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

ditto! thanks!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Found your answer through googling it. Did I say thank you?

Anonymous said...

Way 2 Go, you saved me untold hours deleting this Microsoft At Home garbage. Thanx

Anonymous said...

Just brilliant! thanks for this, I'm now minus 1100 emails!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so much, I was very frustrated as there was no other easy way to "unsubscribe" when I went to the Microsoft website.

Walter Coole said...

Mystery solved; thank you!

Steve Brennan said...

I just wanted to say thanks. The same thing happened to me when upgrading to Office 2010 from Office 2007.

Dinger Bell said...

Thank you, really appreciate someone taking time to help the computer illiterates such as myself

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Holy cow that was annoying me :)

Thanks again!!!!

Anonymous said...

It’s very useful, thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Everyone in my office loves you now.

Anonymous said...

Just like everyone else, thanks for telling how to end the annoying emails.

Bryn said...

Thank you! An excellent post. I really appreciate you taking the trouble.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

YESSS! I shall add to the list of thanks! THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much, very useful!

Leslie said...

Thank you so much - what an easy solution to an annoying problem!

Ukraine Family Team - Calvary 2009 said...

Incredibly useful. I too was annoyed at this and just KNEW someone would have figured it out. Microsoft should be required to put an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of their mass emails. Oh wait - they are. Looks like an opportunity for some aspiring young lawyer...

Anonymous said...

thanks

Anonymous said...

And another thanks from me. How do they get away with this when almost all unwelcome e-mails have an 'unsubscribe' option?

Janet said...

This is still happening today, as my boss just found it on his iPhone. Thank you.

Tod said...

Hard to believe that almost 8 years later this is still happening! On the plus side a lot of people must have it fixed because this post has finally fallen out of the top ten on my blog!

About Me

My photo
Tod Gentille (@todgentille) is now a Curriculum Director for Pluralsight. He's been programming professionally since well before you were born and was a software consultant for most of his career. He's also a father, husband, drummer, and windsurfer. He wants to be a guitar player but he just hasn't got the chops for it.